● 1977.08 — Rev. Robert Drechsler tells his congregation that he is gay. He must leave his job, but writes in parting to his congregation: “Perhaps some day we will be able to accept one another, each as a child of God, loved by God.”
● 2001.08 — Gay Christian Network (GCN) is founded by Justin Lee after he’d struggled for years to reconcile his own Christian faith with his sexuality, and so he wanted a way to support others in similar situations.
● 2014.08.01 — The Constitutional Court of Uganda rules the newly enacted anti-gay law invalid on a technicality.
● 2011.08.14 — Rep. Michele Bachmann says that gay Americans are part of Satan, and that homosexuality is a form of bondage, while campaigning for president in the 2012 Republican Primary.
● 2012.08.15 — Activist Floyd Corkins enters the lobby of the Family Research Council in Washington D.C., makes negative comments about the organization’s stance against marriage equality before shooting a security guard in the arm. The security guard, Leo Johnson, was able to disarm the gunman, who was then arrested.
● 2009.08.16 — Pastor Steven L. Anderson preaches a sermon entitled “I Hate Barack Obama” in which he talks about his praying for the president to die. He also calls for the U.S. Government to execute all homosexuals.
● 1992.08.17 — Today marks the very first reference to homosexual rights in an RNC platform.
● 1986.08.18 — Rev. Charles Curran, professor at the Catholic University of America, has his teaching privileges revoked by the Vatican for refusing to rescind his statements that the Church’s position on sexual issues such as homosexuality and birth control should not be “absolute.”
● 2009.08.21 — The Minneapolis Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America passes four ministry policy resolutions that permit clergy in committed homosexual partnerships to be rostered leaders within the ELCA.
● 1985.08.23 — The Restoration Church of Jesus Christ (informally called the Gay Mormon Church) is founded by Antonio A. Feliz.
● 2004.08.24 — Vice President Dick Cheney says publicly that he believes the issue of gay marriage should be “left up to the States.”
● 1963.08.28 — Martin Luther King Jr.’s March on Washington that takes place is organized by activist, master strategist and openly-gay man, Bayard Rustin.
● 1867.08.29 — Karl Heinrich Ulrichs becomes the first self-proclaimed homosexual to speak out publicly for homosexual rights when he pleads at the Congress of German Jurists in Munich for a resolution urging the repeal of anti-homosexual laws.