Opt-In Forums

Forum rules, how to register, and more

Opt-In Forums

Postby Xedrik » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:20 pm

Here on the Ark, we want to be friendly toward all members, while still offering the broad range of discussion areas that many have asked for. To facilitate this, we have created a separate group of forums called "Scurry Carefully." New members are not a part of this group by default; members must individually, deliberately opt-in to this member group to have access to Scurry Carefully. This is where the more heated, perhaps controversial forums are located, such as:
  • Pride and Politics (Gay pride, civil rights, activism, law & legislation)
  • GLBTQI Issues (Non-Political) - Issues and topics relevant to GLBTQI (and many other letters) folk, and allies. General issues, health, sexuality, psychology, and more
  • The Debate (Civil discussion of Traditional Christian teaching vs. LGBT)

To opt-in to this member group:
Go to your User Control Panel. On the default Prosilver skin, this is in the upper-left corner of the page, just under the Rainbow Ark header. On your User Control Panel ("UCP"), click on the "Usergroups" tab. Under "Non-Memberships" you should see "Scurry Carefully Subscribers". Click the radio-button to the right, and then in the drop-box below, choose "Join Selected" and click Submit. On the following page, choose "Yes" to confirm your subscription. That's it! On the main page (Click the Rainbow Ark logo to return to the main page) you should now see the Scurry Carefully forums just below the main forums.

Please note: Until you have made a few posts (just a few!), you will still be in the "Newly Registered Users" group, and will have limited posting access including no access to the Scurry Carefully forums. This is simply a preventive step to avoid users registering multiple accounts just to cause trouble in these forums.
Wherever there's somebody fightin' for a place to stand, or a decent job or a helpin' hand
Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes Mom, you'll see me.
"The Ghost of Tom Joad"
Bruce Springsteen
Xedrik
Site Admin

Re: Opt-In Forums

Postby jarrell » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Hey Xeddy, my Scurry Carefully's don't show up on my page, though when I try to opt-in, it says I'm already a member.
jarrell
Site Admin

Postby Xedrik » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:37 pm

Because your post count is at 1, you haven't yet made enough posts to get out of the Newly Registered Users group, which is why you couldn't see Scurry Carefully.
Xedrik wrote:Please note: Until you have made a few posts (just a few!), you will still be in the "Newly Registered Users" group, and will have limited posting access including no access to the Scurry Carefully forums. This is simply a preventive step to avoid users registering multiple accounts just to cause trouble in these forums.

I manually pulled you out of the Newly Registered Users group, and tested your permissions. It works now. It's just a quirk of how the Newly Registered Users group works (how it has to work) that even though you're in the Administrators group, because your low post count kept you in the New group, its permissions over-wrote your Admin permissions for the Scurry Carefully section. /^|..|^\ Good catch though. if we appoint any other users as board admin, I'll remember to adjust that for them. I didn't foresee it being a problem though, as I figured the moderators would all have more than a few posts under their belts.
Wherever there's somebody fightin' for a place to stand, or a decent job or a helpin' hand
Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free, look in their eyes Mom, you'll see me.
"The Ghost of Tom Joad"
Bruce Springsteen
Xedrik
Site Admin

Postby jarrell » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:45 am

Okay, cool. That makes sense.

So no one has contacted you yet in response to my email?
jarrell
Site Admin

Postby Xedrik » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:11 pm

Not yet, but I'm not discouraged. It's not yet been a full day, and the message went out on a weekend. I'm sure we'll get at least a couple vict---er, volunteers. /^|..|^\
"The Ghost of Tom Joad"
Bruce Springsteen
Xedrik
Site Admin

Return to Getting Started